53rd REGIMENT MOUNTED INFANTRYOrganized at Covington, Kentucky, September, 1864.
Mustered out, September 17, 1865.
- Attached to Military District of Kentucky, Dept. Ohio, and Dept. of Kentucky, to September, 1865.
- Guard Kentucky Central Railroad between Lexington and Cincinnati.
- Scouting in Central Kentucky and operating against guerrillas till November.
- Moved to Crab Orchard, Ky., November 24.
- Joined General Stoneman.
- Stoneman's Raid into Southwest Virginia, December 10-29.
- Near Marion, Va., December 17-18.
- Saltsville, Va., December 20-21.
- Capture and destruction of salt works.
- Operating against guerrillas at various points in Kentucky by detachments till September, 1865.
- Operating against guerrillas at various points in Kentucky by detachments till September.
- Mustered out, September 17, 1865.
Regiment lost during service:
- 1 Officer and 8 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded.
- 40 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total 49.
Source: A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Frederick H. Dyer, 1908.