Thursday, April 27, 1865

| Previous Week | Previous Day | Next Day | Next Week |

Army Events:

Operations: Canyon City Road, OR January 1 - November 30, 1865
Scout: Dakota City, Nebraska Territory April 22 - 27, 1865
Expedition to: Danville, VA April 23 - 29, 1865
Expedition from: Eastern Tennessee March 20 - April 27, 1865
Operation: Fort Laramie, Nebraska Territory April 1 - May 27, 1865
Expedition to: Georgetown, GA April 17 - 30, 1865
Affair: James Creek, MO April 27, 1865
Scouts: Licking, MO April 1 - 30, 1865
Affair: Memphis, TN April 27, 1865
Scout: Middle Boy River, Nebraska Territory April 22 - 27, 1865
Affair: Mississippi River April 27, 1865
Campaign: Mobile, AL March 17 - May 4, 1865
Scout: Rolla, MO April 21 - 27, 1865
Scout: Saline River, AR April 26 - 29, 1865
Operation: Shenandoah Valley, VA April 26 - May 5, 1865
Expedition to: South Boston, VA April 23 - 29, 1865
Loss of: Sultana Steamer, TN April 27, 1865
Scout: Thomasville, MO April 21 - 27, 1865
Expedition to: Union Springs, AL April 17 - 30, 1865

Appointment: Brigadier General James C. Veatch, USA, is assigned command of the Federal Post and District of Mobile, Alabama
Appointment: Federal Colonel William H. Dickey, 84th U. S. Colored Troops, USA, assumes command of the Federal District of Morganza, Louisiana

(Source: Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Vol. I, p. 660-991. Frederick H. Dyer; The Chronological Tracking Of The American Civil War Per The Offical Records Of The War of the Rebellion pp. 1-336. Ronald A. Mosocco.)

Naval Events:

While in Augusta, Georgia, with the Confederate archives and treasury (see 17-19 April 1965) Lieutenant W. H. Parker learned that the Federal Government had rejected the convention of surrender drawn up by Generals Sherman and Johnston. Parker withdrew his valuable cargo from the bank vaults, reformed his naval escort (consisting of Naval Academy midshipmen and sailors from the Charlotte Navy Yard) and on the 24th set out for Abbeville, South Carolina, which he had previously concluded to be the most likely city through which the Davis party would pass enroute to a crossing of the Savannah River. Near Washington, Georgia, Parker met Mrs. Jefferson Davis, her daughter and Burton Harrison, the President's private secretary, proceeding independently to Florida with a small escort. Gaining no information on the President's whereabouts, Parker continued to press toward Abbeville, while Mrs. Davis' party resumed its journey Southward. On the 29th he arrived in Abbeville, where he stored his cargo in guarded rail cars and ordered a full head of steam be kept on the locomotive in case of emergency. Parker's calculations as to the probable movements of President Davis' entourage proved correct; the chief executive entered Abbeville three days after Parker's arrival.

The body of John Wilkes Booth, Lincoln's assassin, and David E. Herold, who had accompanied Booth in the escape from Washington and was with the actor when he was shot, were delivered on board U.S.S. Montauk, anchored in the Anacostia River off the Washington Navy Yard. Booth had been slain and Herold captured at John M. Garrett's farm three miles outside Port Royal, Virginia, in the early morning hours of the previous day. While the body was on board the monitor, an autopsy was performed and an inquiry conducted to establish identity. Booth's corpse was then taken by boat to the Washington Arsenal (now Fort McNair) where it was buried in a gun box the following day. Herold was incarcerated in the hold of Montauk which, along with U.S.S. Saugus, was being utilized for the maximum security imprisonment of eight of the suspected assassination conspirators.

Secretary Welles informed Commander F. A. Parker of the Potomac Flotilla that the "special restrictions relative to retaining vessels are removed." He advised the Flotilla commander that "Booth was killed and captured with Herold yesterday, 3 miles southwest of Port Royal, Va." With the search for President Lincoln's assassin ended, further south the Navy focused its attention to another end. This date, Rear Admiral Dahlgren ordered nine ships of his South Atlantic Blockading Squadron to patrol along the Southern coast to prevent the escape of Jefferson Davis and his cabinet.

River steamer Sultana blew up in the Mississippi River above Memphis, Tennessee, killing 1,450 out of 2,000 passengers--all but 50 of whom were former prisoners of war. She was en route to Cairo when a violent explosion ripped her apart and turned her into a sheet of flame. The cause of the explosion was never determined, but one of the theories advanced was that a coal torpedo--such as the one that was suspected of having destroyed Army steamer Greyhound (see 27 November 1864) had been slipped into the steamer's coal bin.

Commodore William Radford, commanding the James River Flotilla, stationed U.S.S. Tristram Shandy, commanded by Acting Lieutenant Francis M. Green, at Cape Henry to watch for C.S.S. Stonewall. The next day Secretary Welles warned Radford that Stonewall had sailed from Teneriffe, Canary Islands, on 1 April and had steamed rapidly to the south. ". . . Every precaution should be taken to guard against surprise and to prevent her inflicting serious injury should she make her appearance anywhere within the limits of your command. . . ." Welles sent the same directive to Commander F. A. Parker of the Potomac Flotilla.

(Source: Civil War Naval Chronology 1861-1865. pp. I:1-41; II:1-117; III:1-170; IV:1-152; V:1-134. 1971: Naval History Division, Navy Department.)

Additional Information:

U. S. President Abraham Lincoln's funeral train passes through Rochester, New York, and Buffalo, New York.

(Source: The Chronological Tracking Of The American Civil War Per The Offical Records Of The War of the Rebellion pp. 1-336. Ronald A. Mosocco.)
revised: July 18, 2004
created: January 12, 2001
© 2001 Civil War Landscapes Association - All Rights Reserved.