Monday, April 17, 1865

| Previous Week | Previous Day | Next Day | Next Week |

Army Events:

Scout: Bath County, VA April 15 - 23, 1865
Expedition from: Blakely, AL April 17 - 20, 1865
Expedition to: Camden, SC April 5 - 25, 1865
Occupation of: Camden, SC April 17, 1865
Campaign: Campaign of the Carolinas January 1 - April 26, 1865
Operations: Canyon City Road, OR January 1 - November 30, 1865
Campaign: Carolinas, Campaign of the January 1 - April 26, 1865
Skirmish: Catawba River, NC April 17, 1865
Raid from: Chickasaw, AL March 22 - April 24, 1865
Expedition to: Claiborne, AL April 9 - 17, 1865
Expedition to: Clinton, LA March 20 - April 20, 1865
Affair: Columbus, GA April 17, 1865
Expedition from: Eastern Tennessee March 20 - April 27, 1865
Operation: Fort Laramie, Nebraska Territory April 1 - May 27, 1865
Scout: Fort Stanton, New Mexico Territory April 12 - 25, 1865
Expedition to: Georgetown, GA April 17 - 30, 1865
Expedition from: Georgetown, SC April 5 - 25, 1865
Scout: Highland County, VA April 15 - 23, 1865
Scouts: Licking, MO April 1 - 30, 1865
Raid: Macon, GA March 22 - April 24, 1865
Campaign: Mobile, AL March 17 - May 4, 1865
Action: Morganton, NC April 17, 1865
Operation: Northern Alabama January 31 - April 24, 1865
Scout: Pocohontas County, WV April 15 - 23, 1865
Scout: Randolph County, WV April 15 - 23, 1865
Raid: Selma, AL March 22 - April 24, 1865
Expedition to: Southwestern Virginia March 21 - April 25, 1865
Raid: Stoneman's Raid, TN March 21 - April 25, 1865
Expedition to: Union Springs, AL April 17 - 30, 1865
Raid: Western North Carolina March 21 - April 25, 1865
Raid: Wilson's Raid March 22 - April 24, 1865

Appointment: Brigadier General Thomas A. Davies, USA, is assigned command of the Federal District of Wisconsin

(Source: Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Vol. I, p. 660-991. Frederick H. Dyer; The Chronological Tracking Of The American Civil War Per The Offical Records Of The War of the Rebellion pp. 1-336. Ronald A. Mosocco.)

Naval Events:

The Confederate ironclad Jackson (previously Muscogee) was destroyed at Columbus, Georgia, after Union Army forces overran Southern defenses at the city in an attack that began the preceding night. Major General George H. Thomas reported: "The rebel ram Jackson, nearly ready for sea, and carrying six 7-inch [rifled] guns, fell into our hands and was destroyed, as well as the navy yard, founderies, the arsenal and armory, sword and pistol factory . . . all of which were burned." Twelve miles below the city the Union troops found the burned hulk of C.S.S. Chattahoochee which the Confederates themselves had destroyed. The navy yard at Columbus had been a key facility in the building of the machinery for Southern ironclads.

Sunken obstructions placed in the channel of Blakely River, Mobile Bay, Alabama, were removed by blasting directed by Master Adrian C. Starrett, U.S.S. Maria A. Wood, thus clearing navigational hazards from Mobile Bay.

Acting Master J. H. Eldridge, U.S.S. Delaware, reported that information had been received that the murderer of the President was in the vicinity of Point Lookout, Maryland. Secretary Welles promptly ordered the Commanding Officer of Naval Force, Hampton Roads, to send all available vessels to assist in the blockade of the eastern shore of Virginia and Maryland from Point Lookout to Baltimore.

Lieutenant W. H. Parker, commanding naval escort entrusted with the Confederate archives, treasury, and President Davis' wife, successfully evaded Federal patrols en route southward from Charlotte (see 8-11 April) and arrived at Washington, Georgia, on the 17th. Parker, still without orders as to the disposition of his precious trust and unable to learn of the whereabouts of President Davis and his party (including Secretary Mallory), decided to push on through to Augusta, Georgia, where he hoped to find ranking civilian and military officials. The escort commander recorded: "We left the ladies behind at the tavern in Washington for we expected now a fight at any time." The escort again, however, managed to elude Federal patrols and arrived without incident at Augusta where Parker placed his entrusted cargo in bank vaults and posted a guard around the building. Having learned upon arrival that armistice negotiations between Generals Sherman and Johnston were in progress, the escort commander decided to remain in the city and await the outcome of the conference.

Four of the five Lincoln assassination suspects arrested on the 17th were imprisoned on the monitors U.S.S. Montauk and Saugus which had been prepared for this purpose on the 15th and were anchored off the Washington Navy Yard in the Anacostia River. Mrs. Mary E. Surratt was taken into custody at the boarding house she operated after it was learned that her son was a close friend of John Wilkes Booth and that the actor was a frequent visitor at the boarding house. Mrs. Surratt was jailed in the Carroll Annex of Old Capitol Prison. Lewis Paine was also taken into custody when he came to Mrs. Surratt's house during her arrest. Edward Spangler, stagehand at the Ford Theater and Booth's aide, along with Michael O'Laughlin and Samuel B. Arnold, close associates of Booth during the months leading up to the assassination, were also caught up in the dragnet. O'Laughlin and Paine, after overnight imprisonment in the Old Capitol Prison, were transferred to the monitors at the Navy Yard. They were joined by Arnold on the 19th and Spangler on the 24th. George A. Atzerodt, the would-be assassin of Vice President Andrew Johnson, and Ernest Hartman Richter, at whose home Atzerodt was captured, were brought on board the ships on the 20th. João Celestino, Portuguese sea captain who had been heard to say on the 14th that Seward ought to. be assassinated, was transferred from Old Capitol Prison to Montauk on. the 25th. The last of the eight conspiracy suspects to be incarcerated on board. the monitors was David E. Herold. The prisoners were kept below decks under heavy guard and were manacled with both wrist and leg irons. In addition, their heads were covered with canvas hoods the interior of which were fitted with cotton pads that tightly covered the prisoners' eyes and ears. The hoods contained two small openings to permit breathing and the consumption of food. An added security measure was taken with Paine by attaching a ball and chain to each ankle.

(Source: Civil War Naval Chronology 1861-1865. pp. I:1-41; II:1-117; III:1-170; IV:1-152; V:1-134. 1971: Naval History Division, Navy Department.)

Additional Information:

Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston, CSA, and Federal Major General William T. Sherman, USA, meet at the Bennett House, near Durham Station, North Carolina, to discuss the surrender of the Confederate Army of Tennessee.

Confederate President Jefferson Davis and the remaining members of the Confederate government arrive at Salisbury, North Carolina.

The remains of U. S. President Abraham Lincoln lie in state in the East Room of the White House, Washington, D. C., until his funeral on April 19, 1865.

(Source: The Chronological Tracking Of The American Civil War Per The Offical Records Of The War of the Rebellion pp. 1-336. Ronald A. Mosocco.)
revised: July 18, 2004
created: January 12, 2001
© 2001 Civil War Landscapes Association - All Rights Reserved.